Ryan  has announced the availability of WordPress 2.6 Beta 1 . The final release of WordPress 2.6 should happen between 7th July 2008 to 14th July 2008 according to WordPress Trac’s Roadmap .
WordPress 2.6 is not a big release compared to WordPress 2.5, but hopefully it will not break any plugins as I just updated my plugins for WordPress 2.5.
I still think that WordPress should slow down their pace of development if not it will be hard for plugin authors to keep up with it as everytime a major version of WordPress comes out, plugins always breaks.
Here are the features of WordPress 2.6:
- Post Revisioning
- A “Press This” bookmarklet for tumblelog style quick posting
- Caching of static files with Gears for faster Admin page loads
- A new and improved image editing dialog that offers lots of control over the images in your posts
- Theme previewing as seen on WordPress.com
- Built-in word counting in the post editor
- The ability to disable remote publishing for the security conscious
- XML-RPC API for changing blog options
- Better SSL support for the Admin
- Hierarchy-aware paging in the Manage Pages and Manage Categories admin pages.
- The ability to relocate your content directory
- The ability to move wp-config.php out of your web root
- Drag-and-drop sortable galleries
- Customizable default avatars
- Bulk delete, activate, and deactivate for plugins
- Check box range selection with shift-click
- TinyMCE 22.214.171.124 with lots of bug fixes
- jQuery 1.2.6 with some nice performance improvements
- jQuery UI 1.5
- Lots of bug fixes and performance improvements
Finally the feature of activating/deactivating plugins in bulk is here!