WordPress 3.0 Beta 1  has been released. WordPress 3.0 is set to be released on 1st May 2010.
Remember when I posted earlier about the Twitter account, and I said that hopefully you’d find out later today what has been keeping us all so busy? Beta testers, this is your moment: the WordPress 3.0 Beta 1  has arrived!
This is an early beta. This means there are a few things we’re still finishing. We wanted to get people testing it this weekend, so we’re releasing it now rather than waiting another week until everything is finalized and polished. There’s a ton of stuff going on in 3.0, so this time we’re giving you a list of things to check out, so that we can make sure people are testing all the things that need it.
You Should Know:
- The custom menus system (Appearance > Menus) is not quite finished. In Beta 2, the layout will be different and a bunch of the functionality will be improved, but we didn’t want to hold things up for this one screen. You can play with making custom menus, and report bugs if you find them, but this is not how the final screen will look/work, so don’t get attached to it.
- The merge! Yes, WordPress and WordPress MU have merged. This does not mean that you can suddenly start adding a bunch of new blogs from within your regular WordPress Dashboard. If you’re interested in testing the Super Admin stuff associated with multiple sites, you’ll need some simple directions  to get started.
- We’re still fiddling with a few small things in the UI, as we were focused on getting the more function-oriented code finished first. For example, we’re getting a new icon for the Super Admin section.
Things to test:
- Play with the new default theme, Twenty Ten, including the custom background and header options.
- Custom Post Type functionality has been beefed up. It’s really easy  to add new types, so do that and see how it looks!
- WordPress MU users should test the multiple sites functionality to make sure nothing broke during the merge.
Already have a test install that you want to switch over to the beta? Try the beta tester plugin .
Testers, don’t forget to use the wp-testers mailing list  to discuss bugs you encounter.
We hope you like it! And if you don’t, well, check back when beta 2 is ready.
Download: WordPress 3.0 Beta 1