WordPress 3.1 Beta 1  has been released!
If all goes well, we hope to release WordPress 3.1 to the world at large by the end of the year, though that is (as always) subject to change/dependent on how the beta period goes. The more help we get with testing and fixing bugs, the sooner we will be able to release the final version.
Some of the new features to check out include:
- Post Formats (#14746 )
- Theme Search (#14936 )
- Internal Linking (#11420 )
- Admin Bar (#14772 )
- Ajaxified Admin (#14579 )
- Updated Tiny MCE (#12574 )
- Multi-taxonomy Queries (#12891 )
- Custom Post Type Index Pages (#13818 )
- Admin CSS Cleanup (#14770 )
- User Admin (#14696 )
- Network Admin (#14435 )
- Password Reset Redux (#5919 )
There are also some known issues: things that aren’t *quite* finished, but that weren’t worth holding up the beta release. They will be fixed before 3.1 is released for general use. Note that as things get fixed, the beta release will update nightly. What you should know:
- Fatal error: Call to a member function is_page() on a non-object in /wp-includes/query.php. is_page() may be any conditional tag . This issue occurs when a theme or plugin is doing something wrong. Some code is checking the value of a conditional tag before we actually set up the Query, which means they don’t work yet. In 3.0, they silently failed and always returned false. In 3.1 Beta 1, this is throwing a fatal error. This will be handled in the final release, so use this opportunity to fix your plugins. (#14729 )
- All known issues slated for fixing before launch are listed in Trac . Please check this list to see if a bug is already on the list before reporting it.
Download: WordPress 3.1 Beta 1