In case you are unaware, Samsung announced Samsung Galaxy SIII which is the successor to the Galaxy SII and their flagship mobile phone at Samsung Mobile Unpacked 2012 yesterday in London.
Samsung provided a live stream to the event but apparently the NDA for the Samsung Galaxy SIII of those major tech sites was lifted right before the event. So it is weird to see so much details of the phone even before the person went up on stage to officially announced it.
I am pretty disappointed with the design of the phone, is just doesn’t look nice (I think even my Samsung Galaxy Nexus looks better), but of couse the HTC One X is still the better looking one. Two colors will be available and they are Pebble Blue and Marble White.
The screen is huge at 4.8″ with HD Super AMOLE providing a resolution of 1280×720 which gives you about 306ppi (iPhone 4/4S is about 326ppi, iPad 3 is about 264ppi). Some other notable features include the use of microSIM as well as microSD expansion slot for up to 64GB of external space.
Similar to the HTC One Series, Samsung has partnered with Dropbox to provide extra 50GB worth of Dropbox storage for 2 years (worth US$198) for the owners of the Samsung Galaxy SIII.
Samsung have a clone of Apple’s Siri but they called it the S Voice, and it even allows you to use your voice to pick up an incoming call. Samsung Galaxy SIII also includes a facial recognition feature to zoom and track a person’s face using the camera.
According to the press release, the Samsung Galaxy SIII will be available in Singapore from Q2 2012. I am guessing it will be available around End May 2012.
- Features a 4.8 inch HD Super AMOLED display for a vivid viewing experience and an 8MP camera and 1.9MP front camera which offer a variety of intelligent camera features and face recognition related options that ensure all moments are captured easily and instantly
- Powered by Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich to greatly enhance usability and practicality to make life easier
- Features ‘Smart stay’ which recognizes how the phone is being used i.e. the front camera identifies the eyes by maintaining a bright display for continued viewing pleasure
- Features ‘S Voice’, the advanced natural language user interface, to listen and respond to words, allowing information search and basic device-user communication through voice commands
- The ‘Buddy photo share’ function and the new ‘S Beam’ allow for instant and easy sharing of photos and videos among friends and family
- Features the ‘Pop up play’, which boost performance and the overall user experience by allowing users to play a video anywhere on the screen while simultaneously running other tasks, eliminating the need to close and restart videos when checking new emails or surfing the Web.
- Network: 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE): 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz3G (HSPA+ 21Mbps): 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- Processor: Samsung Exynos 4 Quad (1.4GHz quad-core processor)
- RAM: 1GB
- Display: 4.8 inch HD Super AMOLED (1280×720) display
- OS: Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Camera (Rear): 8 Mega pixel Auto Focus camera with Flash & Zero Shutter Lag, BSI
- Camera (Front): 1.9 Mega pixel camera, HD recording @30fps with Zero Shutter Lag, BSI
- Video Codec: MPEG4, H.264, H.263, DivX, DivX3.11, VC-1, VP8, WMV7/8, Sorenson Spark Recording & Playback: Full HD (1080p)
- Audio Codec: MP3, AMR-NB/WB, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA, OGG, FLAC, AC-3, apt-X
- Additional Features:
- S Beam, Buddy photo share, Share shot
- AllShare Play, AllShare Cast
- Smart stay, Social tag, Group tag, Face zoom, Face slide show
- Direct call, Smart alert, Tap to top, Camera quick access
- Pop up play
- S Voice
- Burst shot & Best photo, Recording snapshot, HDR
- Connectivity: WiFi a/b/g/n, WiFi HT40, GPS/GLONASS, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0(LE)
- Sensor: Accelerometer, RGB light, Digital compass, Proximity, Gyro, Barometer
- Memory: 16/32/64GB internal storage options + microSD slot (up to 64GB)
- Dimension: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm
- Weight: 133g
- Battery: 2,100 mAh
Official Site (Singapore): Samsung Galaxy SIII
Effortlessly smart and intuitively simple, Samsung GALAXY S III reveals a new concept of smartphone
SINGAPORE, 4 May 2012 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, a global leader in digital media and digital convergence technologies, announced the third generation GALAXY S, the GALAXY S III. Designed for humans and inspired by nature, the GALAXY S III is a smartphone that recognizes your voice, understands your intention, and lets you share a moment instantly and easily.
This sleek and innovative smartphone has the enhanced intelligence to make everyday life easier. With the Samsung GALAXY S III, view content like never before on the device’s 4.8 inch HD Super AMOLED display. An 8MP camera and a 1.9MP front camera offers a variety of intelligent camera features and face recognition related options that ensure all moments are captured easily and instantly. Samsung GALAXY S III is powered by Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, with greatly enhanced usability and practicality to make life easier. Packed with intuitive technology, the GALAXY S III delivers a uniquely personalized mobile experience that refuses to be compromised.
“With the GALAXY S III, Samsung has maximized the consumer benefits by integrating superior hardware with enhanced smartphone usability,” said JK Shin, President and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung. “Designed to be both effortlessly smart and intuitively simple, the GALAXY S III has been created with our human needs and capabilities in mind. What makes me proud is that it enables one of the most seamless, natural and human-centric mobile experiences, which opens up a new horizon that allows you to live a life extraordinary.”
Introducing Natural Interaction
The GALAXY S III enhances the interaction experience between the device and user. Smart enough to detect the face, voice and motions, the GALAXY S III adapts to the individual user to provide a more convenient and natural experience. With the innovative ‘Smart stay’ feature, the GALAXY S III recognizes how you are using your phone. For instance, when reading an e-book or browsing the web, the front camera identifies the eyes by maintaining a bright display on the phone for continued viewing pleasure.
The GALAXY S III features ‘S Voice’, the advanced natural language user interface, to listen and respond to words. In addition to allowing information search and basic device-user communication, S Voice presents powerful functions to control the device through voice commands. When your phone alarm goes off but you need a little extra rest, just tell the GALAXY S III “snooze.” You can also use S Voice to play your favorite songs, turn the volume up or down, send text messages and emails, organize your schedules, or automatically launch the camera to capture a photo.
In addition to face and voice recognition, the GALAXY S III understands motions to offer maximized usability. If you are messaging someone but decide to call them instead, simply lift your phone to your ear and ‘Direct call’ will dial their number. With ‘Smart alert,’ the GALAXY S III will also save the trouble of missed message or calls. The phone will vibrate to notify missed statuses when picked up after being idle.
Easy and Instant Sharing
The Samsung GALAXY S III is more than a personal device that can be enjoyed by one user – it wants you to share and experience smartphone benefits with family and friends, regardless of where you are. With the new ‘S Beam,’ the GALAXY S III expands upon Android Beam, allowing a 1GB movie file to be shared within three minutes and a 10MB music file within two seconds by simply touching another GALAXY S III phone, even without a Wi-Fi or cellular signal. ‘Buddy photo share’ function also allows photos to be easily and simultaneously shared with all your friends pictured in an image directly from the camera or the photo gallery.
With ‘AllShare Cast’, users can wirelessly connect their GALAXY S III to their television to transfer smartphone content onto a larger display immediately. ‘AllShare Play’ can be also used to instantly share any forms of files between GALAXY S III and the tablet, PC and television regardless of the distance between the devices. Under AllShare Play, ‘Group Cast’ allows sharing of screen among multiple friends on the same Wi- Fi network. Make comments and draw changes at the same time with your co-workers, witnessing real-time sharing on your individual device.
Human-centric Design with Uncompromised Performance
The GALAXY S III provides an ergonomic and comfortable experience through its human-centric design. Its comfortable grip, gentle curves, and organic form deliver a rich human-centric feel and design. Inspired by nature, its design concept is inspired by the flow and movement of nature. The elements of wind, water and light are all evoked in the physical construct of the GALAXY S III. In its essence, the minimal organic design identity is reflected in the smooth and non-linear lines of the device.
With a 4.8″ HD Super AMOLED display, the GALAXY S III offers a large and vivid viewing experience. Samsung Mobile’s heritage Super AMOLED display even enhances to HD and 16:9 wider viewing angles. To ensure faster content sharing and connectivity, the GALAXY S III offers Wi-Fi Channel Bonding which doubles the Wi-Fi bandwidth.
The GALAXY S III also sports a range of additional features that boost performance and the overall user experience in entirely new ways. It introduces ‘Pop up play,’ a feature that plays a video anywhere on your screen while simultaneously running other tasks, eliminating the need to close and restart videos when checking new emails or surfing the Web. Its 8MP camera features a zero-lag shutter speed that captures moving objects easily without delay – the image seen is the picture taken. With the ‘Burst shot’ function that instantly captures twenty continuous shots, and ‘Best photo’ that selects the best of eight photographs on your behalf, the GALAXY S III ensures users a more enhanced and memorable camera experience. HD video can be recorded even with the 1.9MP front-facing camera to capture a video of yourself. Improved backside illumination helps to eliminate blur in photos that result from shaking, even under low lights.
The gaming experience is enhanced through ‘Game Hub,’ providing access to numerous social games, while Readers’ Hub will continue to bring books, newspapers and magazines to GALAXY S III users.
The Samsung GALAXY S III will be available in Singapore from Q2 2012 in Pebble Blue and Marble White.