Apple announces iPhone 4S at last night’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” event. The form factor is exactly the same as iPhone 4, the only minor difference is the antenna placement is different from the GSM models of iPhone 4. In terms of weight, iPhone 4S is 3 grams heavier than iPhone 4 while maintaining the same dimensions of 115.2mm x 58.6mm x 9.3mm.
For the first time in iPhone history, iPhone 4S will be available in 64GB. Now iPhone 4S has 3 variants of storage capacity, 16GB (US$199), 32GB (US$299) and 64GB (US$399). Both black and white models for each variant will be available during launch.
The iPhone 4S will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on Friday, 14th October 2011 and preorders start this Friday, 7th October 2011.
The next roll out will be on Friday, 28th October 2011 for countries like Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Singapore will get iPhone 4S on Friday, 28th October 2011, before Hong Kong (I am surprised by this). I am guessing it will be a midnight launch similar to all the previous iPhone launches. Now SingTel, quickly launch the appointment booking website already!
Here are some of the new iPhone 4S features when compared with iPhone 4:
- Dual-core A5 Chip – Two cores in the A5 chip deliver up to two times more power and up to seven times faster graphics.
- 8 Megapixel Camera – The custom lens uses five precision elements to shape incoming light, which makes the entire image sharper. The larger f/2.4 aperture lets in more light, so photos look brighter. And the advanced hybrid infrared filter keeps out harmful IR light for more accurate and uniform colors.
- 1080p (30fps) Video Recording – With all-new optics, the light is always right, the color is always vivid and everything will look even better than you remember. Video stabilisation steadies shaky shots.
- Supports Both GSM or CDMA Networks – iPhone 4S is the first phone to intelligently switch between two antennas to transmit and receive, so call quality is better. It also doubles the maximum HSDPA data speeds to 14.4 Mbps.
- Siri – Siri on iPhone 4S lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls, and more. Ask Siri to do things just by talking the way you talk. Siri understands what you say, knows what you mean, and even talks back.
- 64GB Model Now Available – Addition to 16GB and 32GB models.
- Bluetooth 4.0
- AirPlay Mirroring – With AirPlay Mirroring, whatever you see and do on your iPhone appears on your HDTV at the same time.