Microsoft Surface Pro 3 was announced last night in New York. Microsoft tout it as “the tablet that can replace your laptop”.
It comes with a large, 12″ ClearType HD color-calibrated display, a continuously adjustable kickstand, improvements to processing power, upgraded camera, and weighs only about 800g. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with 4G/LTE option =(
With regards to accessories, there are two new accessories. The first is the all-new Surface Pen, cased in aluminium and with 256 levels of pressure sensitivity for a smooth and precise writing and drawing experience. And the other is the Docking Station that provides you with a gigabit Ethernet port (up to 1Gbps), Mini DisplayPort (for HD video of up to 3840×2600), and five USB ports (three USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0). The Type Cover has also been upgraded by making it larger because of the 12″ screen and it comes with an improved trackpad.
Oh and the power supply connector got changed as well.
- OS: Windows 8.1 Pro
- CPU: 4th-generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4400
- RAM: 4GB or 8GB memory options (dual-channel LPDDR3)
- Storage: 64 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB or 512 GB
- Display Screen: 12″ ClearType Full HD display
- Resolution: 2160 x 1440 (3:2)
- Touch: Multitouch input
- Pen input: Pen input and pen with 256 levels of pressure sensitivity (included with purchase)
- TPM: TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module — for BitLocker encryption) for enterprise security
- Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11ac/802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology
- Battery: Up to nine hours of Web-browsing battery life
- Cameras: 5MP and 1080p HD front- and rear-facing cameras
- Audio: Built-in front- and rear-facing microphones, Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound
- Physical buttons: Volume, Power, Home
- Ports: Full-size USB 3.0, microSD card reader, Headset jack, Mini DisplayPort, Cover port, Charging port
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer
- Power supply: 36W power supply (including 5W USB for accessory charging)
- Dimensions: 20cm x 29cm x 1cm
- Weight: 800g
- Casing: Magnesium
- Color: Silver
- Warranty: One-year limited hardware warranty
For Intel Core i5 configuration and selected accessories, United States and Canada will be the first in the world to get it from 20th June 2014. Additional configurations will become available during August, and additional accessories will be available in the coming months.
For the rest of the countries like Singapore and 25 additional countries (Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand and the United Kingdom), it will be available by end August 2014.
By the way you can start pre-ordering now from Microsoft Store!
*6th August 2014* Surface Pro 3 will be sold in Singapore from 28th August 2014 at retail outlets and commercial resellers. Surface Pro 3 Docking Station is also available for pre-orders at a recommended retail price of S$288.00, and will be available in September 2014 while the additional Pen Loop will retail for S$8.
There are four configurations for the Surface Pro 3 and the prices are in S$ (Singapore Dollars) because the prices are already out in the Microsoft Store (Singapore).
- Intel Core i3, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD: S$1,108
- Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD: S$1,348
- Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD: S$1,728
- Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD: S$2,138
- Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD: S$2,698
For accessories, only the prices for Pen Loop and Docking Station are not made available in Singapore Dollars yet, so I used the average exchange rate based off existing accessories between Microsoft US and Singapore Store which averages to about S$1.40 to US$1 and I round it off to the nearest 8.
- Surface Pro Type Cover: S$183
- Additional Surface Pen: S$73
- Additional 36W Power Supply: S$108
- Additional Pen Loop: S$8
- Docking Station for Surface Pro: S$288
- Surface Ethernet Adapter: S$58
- Site: Microsoft Surface
- Blog: Surface Blog
- Store: Microsoft Store (Singapore)
- Press Release: Microsoft introduces Surface Pro 3: the tablet that can replace your laptop