- In the 1400’s a law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb.. Hence we have “the rule of thumb”
- Many years ago in Scotland , a new game was invented. It was ruled “Gentlemen Only…Ladies Forbidden”…and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.
- The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.
- Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the U.S . Treasury.
- Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.
- Coca-Cola was originally green.
- It is impossible to lick your elbow.
- The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska
- The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28%
- The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%
- The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $ 16,400
- The average number of people airborne over the U.S. in any given hour: 61,000
- Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
- The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer.
- The San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile National Monuments.
- Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:
Spades – King David
Hearts – Charlemagne
Clubs -Alexander, the Great
Diamonds – Julius Caesar
- 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
- If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
- Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn’t added until 5 years later.
- Q. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what?
A. Their birthplace
- Q. Most boat owners name their boats. What is the most popular boat name requested?
- Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter “A”?
A. One thousand
- Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers all have in common?
A. All were invented by women.
- Q. What is the only food that doesn’t spoil?
- Q. Which day are there more collect calls than any other day of the year?
A. Father’s Day
- In Shakespeare’s time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes.
When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase……… “goodnight, sleep tight.”
- It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride’s father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.
- In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts… So in old England , when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them “Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down.”
It’s where we get the phrase “mind your P’s and Q’s”
- Many years ago in England , pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. “Wet your whistle” is the phrase inspired by this practice.
- Don’t delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
You Might Also Be Interested In
Changing Circles.Life Physical SIM to Circles.Life eSIM
Circles.Life launched its eSIM service last week to both new and existing customers. To be precise, new customers can apply for Circles.Life eSIM from 21st July 2020, while existing customers can switch to eSIM from …
Lester Chan ·
ShieldMask+ Reusable Mask
ShieldMask+ is a reusable and washable mask that is made in Singapore. It has four layers of protection, which consist of moisture repellant as the outer later followed by a double filter layer and, lastly, …
Lester Chan ·
Ariston Andris Lux Storage Water Heater Leaking
Ariston Andris Lux is a electric storage water heater that comes in two capacity, 15L and 30L. I got the 15L back in March 2016 for S$280 and integrated to with my smart home with …
Lester Chan ·
Our Play & Work From Home Setup
With the COVID-19 pandemic going on, on 3rd April 2020, the Singapore government has announced a Circuit Breaker (CB) to minimize further spread of COVID-19. This will take effect from 7th April 2020 till 4th …
Lester Chan ·