WordPress 2.6 has been released.
Here are some new features of WordPress 2.6:
- Post Revisions: Wiki-like tracking of edits
- Press This!: Post from wherever you are on the web
- Shift Gears: Turbo-speed your blogging
- Theme Previews: See it before your audience does
- Word count
- Image captions under your image
- Bulk management of plugins
- A completely revamped image control to allow for easier inserting, floating, and resizing. It’s now fully integrated with the WYSIWYG
- Drag-and-drop reordering of Galleries
- Plugin update notification bubble
- Customizable default avatars
- You can now upload media when in full-screen mode
- Remote publishing via XML-RPC and APP is now secure (off) by default
- Full SSL support in the core, and the ability to force SSL for security
- You can now have many thousands of pages or categories with no interface issues
- Ability to move your wp-config file and wp-content directories to a custom location, for “clean” SVN checkouts
- Select a range of checkboxes with “shift-click.”
- You can toggle between the Flash uploader and the classic one
- A number of proactive security enhancements, including cookies and database interactions
- Stronger better faster versions of TinyMCE, jQuery, and jQuery UI
2.6 is pretty much identical to 2.5 from a plugin and theme compatibility point of view, so upgrades from 2.5 should be pretty painless. The 2.5 branch will no longer be maintain so everyone is encouraged to upgrade.
PS: The current version of my plugins should work well with WordPress 2.6 except WP-DownloadManager. Nevertheless, I will release updates to all of them tomorrow.