Apple officially announce iPhone 4 yesterday at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2010. I have been following it live on GDGT which I think is the fastest when compared to Engadget. This time round Gizmodo is just aggregating news as I think they are not physically there maybe because of the leak?
MicroSIM is now being used instead of the normal SIM card which is the same case as the iPad. Camera has been bumped up to 5MP with LED flash, front-facing camera added and Apple calls that FaceTime which is a nicer word for video conferencing except that it is for WiFi only. HD video recording at 720p, screen resolution has been increased to 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi, Three-axis gyroscope is added. Processor has been bumped up to 1GHz using the same Apple A4 chip found in iPad. For more details, check out the Design Page of iPhone 4.
It will be available on 24th June 2010 in 4 countries (US, France, Germany, UK, Japan) and in July 2010, 18 countries will be added to the list and that includes Singapore. In August 2010, 24 more countries will be added and in September 2010, 44 more countries will be added. To sum it up, Singapore will get the iPhone 4 in July 2010. I hope SingTel will be able to get it first this time round again which they did for iPhone 3G and 3GS. But on the flip side, I hope all 3 telecos will get at the same time, so that the crowd will be spread out.
There is no 64GB though, 16GB goes for US$199 and 32GB goes for US$299, which is the same price as iPhone 3GS when it is launched last year. So you can expect the price to be the same as iPhone 3GS when it comes here to Singapore as well.
Also, iPhone OS has been renamed to iOS which makes more sense as the OS is being used by iPad, iPod Touch as well. iOS will be out on 21st June 2010 for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 2G onwards.
The only question I have is whether the phone will be SIM lock in the US. Just in case you didn’t know, in Singapore, SIM locked phones are not allowed and hence all iPhones in Singapore will be unlocked.
iPhone 4 Specifications
Size and weight
- Height: 4.5 inches (115.2 mm)
- Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
- Depth: 0.37 inch (9.3 mm)
- Weight: 4.8 ounces (137 grams)
Cellular and wireless
- UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology
- Assisted GPS
- Digital compass
Power and battery
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
- Talk time: Up to 7 hours on 3G, Up to 14 hours on 2G
- Standby time: Up to 300 hours
- Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
- Video playback: Up to 10 hours
- Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
- 16GB flash drive
- 32GB flash drive
- Retina display
- 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
- 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
- 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
Camera, photos, and video
- Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
- 5-megapixel still camera
- VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second with the front camera
- Tap to focus video or still images
- LED flash
- Photo and video geotagging
- Three-axis gyro
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient light sensor