The Moshi Cardette 3 is in its third generation and hence the number 3. It also coincides with USB 3.0, I wonder did they refresh the product each time there is a major release to the USB specifications?
For the unaware, the Moshi Cardette 3 is a USB 3.0 Card Reader that has a built-in 2-Port USB 3.0 Hub. It is lightweight (weighing at 88g) which makes it suitable for carrying around together with your laptop (which is what I am doing). It is retailing for S$69.90.
It has an integrated USB 3.0 cable and does not require an external power adapter. It supports Ultra-High Speed (UHS-I), that allows transfer speed of up to 104MB/s. UHS-I is available in some SDHC and SDXC cards.
Just in case you are wondering, USB 3.0 is always backward compatible with USB 2.0, and thus if you are using an older computer that has USB 2.0 ports, it will work but it might not be as fast.
- CompactFlash (CF Type I)
- Memory Stick (MS, MS Duo & MS PRO Duo)
- MultiMediaCard (MMC)
- eXtremeDigital (xD-Picture)
- micro SD/TF
- SecureDigital (SD)
- SecureDigital High Capacity (SDHC)
- SecureDigital eXtended Capacity (SDXC)
- SecureDigital High/eXtended Capacity UHS-I
- Transfers data at USB 3.0 speeds, backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports.
- Supports Ultra-High Speed (UHS-I) memory cards, 3x faster than Class 10.
- Supports UDMA 7 (Ultra Direct Memory Access) CF cards with speeds up to 100MB/s.
- Integrated cable and dual-port USB 3.0 hub.
The integrated USB 3.0 cable is hidden at the back, you can slide out the back cover to reveal it. When you slide out the cover, you will notice that the labels of the ports will be labeled when you view it from the front. A nice touch by Moshi.