Huawei E5372 4G Mobile Wi-Fi Modem
I was using the Huawei MiFi E585 which I bought 4 years ago till the battery life decided to give up on me. The battery will go flat after about an hour of usage. On top of that I am spoilt with 4G because the 3G speed is way too slow in Singapore, due to bandwidth congestion.
I wanted to get a 4G mobile wi-fi modem last year but it was still pretty expensive, but this year it seems the prices has drop quite a bit. I bought the Huawei E5372 4G Mobile Wi-Fi Modem from a reseller (romz1983) in HardwareZone Forums for S$230. If you are interested in getting it, check out the forum thread, WTS: Great MIFI sale from $90 Huawei E589 E5776 E5331 E5220 E5151 ZTE MF60 Wifi Router. He offers other models as well.
The mobile wi-fi modem is actually from Telstra which is an Australia teleco that Huawei OEM for. It comes with 3,560 mAh battery instead of the default 1,780 mAh which gives you up to 10 hours of battery life instead 6 hours. It uses the normal SIM card instead of micro or nano SIM. If you have a SIM adapter, you can use it with it. Accordingly to romz1983, this is the first 150Mbps LTE mobile wi-fi modem that allows you to use SIM adapter. I am using micro SIM with a SIM adapter and it works fine.
One of the reason for getting a mobile wi-fi modem instead of tethering from my phone is because tethering drains your mobile phone battery very fast (though you can keep it charging using a portable battery). I hope 2014 is the year where MacBook Pros/Airs will have a built-in SIM card slot!
- 4G: Band 900/1800/2100/2600 MHz
- 3G: UMTS/WCDMA Bands 2100/1900/900/850 Mhz
- 2G: GPRS/GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Speed: LTE Speed up to 150Mbps (Download) and 50Mps (Upload)
- Dimensions: 99mm x 62.2mm x 14.4mm (Width x Height x Depth)
- Weight: 140g (including battery)
- SIM Card Slot: Normal SIM (Micro SIM & Nano SIM can be used with adapter)
- microSD Card Slot: Support up to 32GB
- Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- Wi-Fi Connected Devices: Up to 10 simultaneous device
- Battery: 3,560 mAh
- Battery Life: About 10 hours