Announced last week Tuesday on 30th September 2014, the next version of Microsoft’s Windows will be called Windows 10 and not Windows 9.
As shown in the screenshot below, there is a rumour going on in Reddit mentioning that lots of third party products are checking whether the Windows version starts with “Windows 9” which means it will match Windows 95 or Windows 98.
What’s New In Windows 10?
- Start menu: The familiar Start menu is back
- Everything runs in a window: Apps from the Windows Store now open in the same format that desktop apps do and can be resized and moved around, and have title bars at the top allowing for maximize, minimize, and close with a click.
- Snap enhancements: You can now have four apps snapped on the same screen with a new quadrant layout. Windows will also show other apps and programs running for additional snapping and even make smart suggestions on filling available screen space with other open apps.
- New task view button: There’s a new task-view button on the taskbar for quick switching between open files and quick access to any desktops you create.
- Multiple desktops: Create desktops for different purposes and projects and switch between these desktops easily and pick up where you left off on each desktop.
- Find files faster: File Explorer now displays your recent files and frequently visited folders making for finding files you’ve worked on is easier.
- Upgrade to Command Prompt: You can now paste in Command Prompt by pressing Ctrl+V
Windows 10 Technical Preview is now available and it will expire on 15th April 2015. I am pretty sure the Windows 10 Consumer Preview will be out before then. I am guessing Windows 10 will be launching in late October 2015, 3 years after the launch of Windows 8.
No word on the pricing of Windows 10 since it is still in the early stages. I expect Windows 10 to cost the same as Windows 8 or slightly cheaper. When Windows 8 was first launched in October 2012 in Singapore, it cost S$89 for the retail box and S$50 if you are upgrading from a Windows XP/Vista/7 PC.