Sony announced the Sony QX Lens last night at IFA 2013 in Berlin. The Sony QX lens are smartphone attachable lens-style cameras. It is compatible with most iOS and Android devices as long as it is able to install the PlayMemories Mobile app.
- Simply mount the DSC-QX100 / DSC-QX10 on your Android or iOS smartphone to capture breathtaking photos and videos. It’s the ideal solution for shooting and sharing.
- Control the DSC-QX100 / DSC-QX10 from your smartphone even when it’s not mounted. You can shoot in limited spaces and from extreme angles that were previously impossible.
- The DSC-QX100 / DSC-QX10 works seamlessly with your smartphone, allowing you to shoot beautiful images with your preferred camera settings, save and organise them as you like, touch them up with your favourite editing app and share them the same way you always share images with your smartphone.
There are 2 models right now, the DSC-QX10 (Price: US$250, Sensor: 1/2.3, Pixels: 18.2) and DSC-QX100 (Price: US$500, Sensor: 1, Pixels: 20.2). Both models will be available end of this month in the US and October 2013 in Singapore.
The DSC-QX10 overcomes the image shooting limitations of smartphones. You can zoom to your heart’s content with up to 10x optical zoom, as well as clearly capture subjects in dark conditions with extremely low noise.
The DSC-QX10 will be retailing for US$250 (~S$320) and is available both in black and white.
Sony DSC-QX10 (White)
Sony DSC-QX10 (Black) – Attached
- Sensor: 1/2.3 type “Exmor R” CMOS image sensor, aspect ratio 4:3
- Pixels: 18.2 megapixels
- Lens: Sony G Lens
- F-number: F3.3 (W) – 5.9 (T)
- Focal Length: 4.45-44.5mm
- Focus Range: 5cm (0.16″) to infinity (W), 150cm (4.92″) to infinity (T)
- ISO: 100 – 12800
- Dimensions: 62.4 x 61.8 x 33.3mm
- Weight: 105g
The DSC-QX100 empowers your smartphone to take photos and videos of exceptional quality with beautiful defocusing and extremely low noise, even in dark environments. Compact and lightweight, it delivers sophisticated performance that is usually reserved for high-end cameras.
The DSC-QX100 will be retailing for US$500 (~S$640) available in black only. The lens of the DSC-QX100 is equivalent to the Sony RX100-II (S$999)
Sony DSC-QX100 (Black)
Sony DSC-QX100 (Black) – Attached
- Sensor: 1.0 type (13.2 x 8.8mm) “Exmor R” CMOS image sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Pixels: 20.2 megapixels
- Lense Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T
- F-number: F1.8 (W) – 4.9 (T)
- Focal Length: 10.4-37.1mm
- Focus Range: 5cm (0.16′) to infinity (W), 55cm (1.80′) to infinity (T)
- ISO: 160 – 25600
- Dimensions: 62.5 x 62.5 x 55.5mm
- Weight: 179g
Official Site: Sony Global – Digital Imaging – DSC-QX100 / DSC-QX10
The Verge: Sony’s QX Smart Lens attaches an entire camera to your smartphone
Engadget: Sony DSC-QX100 and QX10 lens cameras bring top-notch optics to any smartphone or tablet, we go hands-on (video)