WordPress 3.9 has been released!
Some notable new features:
- A smoother media editing experience
- Gallery previews
- Do more with audio and video
- Live widget and header previews
- Stunning new theme browser
The next milestone will be WordPress 4.0 =)
I will be releasing my plugin updates for WP-DBManager, WP-DownloadManager, WP-Email, WP-Polls and WP-PostRatings to use WordPress 3.9 Dashicons and fix the TinyMCE 4.0 display issue.
Download: WordPress 3.9
Alongside WordPress 3.8.2, WordPress 3.9 RC1 has also shipped. The final version of WordPress 3.9 is targeted to be released next Wednesday, 16th April 2014.
If you’re a plugin author, there are two important changes in particular to be aware of:
- TinyMCE received a major update, to version 4.0. Any editor plugins written for TinyMCE 3.x might require some updates. (If things broke, we’d like to hear about them so we can make adjustments.) For more, see TinyMCE’s migration guide and API documentation, and the notes on the core development blog.
- WordPress 3.9 now uses the MySQLi Improved extension for sites running PHP 5.5. Any plugins that made direct calls to
mysql_* functions will experience some problems on these sites. For more information, see the notes on the core development blog.
Download: WordPress 3.9 RC1
WordPress 3.8.2 has been released and it is important for all you guys to update it as it is a security release.
WordPress 3.8.2 is now available. This is an important security release for all previous versions and we strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately.
This releases fixes a weakness that could let an attacker force their way into your site by forging authentication cookies. This was discovered and fixed by Jon Cave of the WordPress security team.
It also contains a fix to prevent a user with the Contributor role from improperly publishing posts. Reported by edik.
This release also fixes nine bugs and contains three other security hardening changes:
- Pass along additional information when processing pingbacks to help hosts identify potentially abusive requests.
- Fix a low-impact SQL injection by trusted users. Reported by Tom Adams of dxw.
- Prevent possible cross-domain scripting through Plupload, the third-party library WordPress uses for uploading files. Reported by Szymon Gruszecki.
Checkout out the full changelog here.
Download: WordPress 3.8.2
WordPress 3.9 Beta 1 has been released!
- We updated TinyMCE, the software powering the visual editor, to the latest version. Be on the lookout for cleaner markup. Also try the new paste handling — if you paste in a block of text from Microsoft Word, for example, it will no longer come out terrible. (The “Paste from Word” button you probably never noticed has been removed.) It’s possible some plugins that added stuff to the visual editor (like a new toolbar button) no longer work, so we’d like to hear about them (#24067). (And be sure to open a support thread for the plugin author.)
- We’ve added widget management to live previews (the customizer). Please test editing, adding, and rearranging widgets! (#27112) We’ve also added the ability to upload, crop, and manage header images, without needing to leave the preview. (#21785)
- We brought 3.8?s beautiful new theme browsing experience to the theme installer. Check it out! (#27055)
- Galleries now receive a live preview in the editor. Upload some photos and insert a gallery to see this in action. (#26959)
- You can now drag-and-drop images directly onto the editor to upload them. It can be a bit finicky, so try it and help us work out the kinks. (#19845)
- Some things got improved around editing images. It’s a lot easier to make changes to an image after you insert it into a post (#24409) and you no longer get kicked to a new window when you need to crop or rotate an image (#21811).
- New audio/video playlists. Upload a few audio or video files to test these. (#26631)
Developer Related Changes
- The load process in multisite got rewritten. If you notice any issues with your network, see #27003.
- We now use the MySQL Improved (mysqli) database extension if you’re running a recent version of PHP (#21663). Please test your plugins and see that everything works well, and please make sure you’re not calling
mysql_* functions directly.
- Autosave was refactored, so if you see any issues related to autosaving, heartbeat, etc., let us know (#25272).
- Library updates, in particular Backbone 1.1 and Underscore 1.6 (#26799). Also Masonry 3 (#25351), PHPMailer (#25560), Plupload (#25663), and TinyMCE (#24067).
- TinyMCE 4.0 is a major update. Please see TinyMCE’s upgrade guide and our implementation ticket for more. If you have any questions or problems, please open a thread in the support forums.
Download: WordPress 3.9 Beta 1
I would like to introduce you to a new WordPress plugin that I wrote (or rewrote), it is called WP-DraftsForFriends. The last time I wrote a plugin was almost 3 years ago which was the WP-ShowHide!
The plugin is on GitHub as well, github.com/lesterchan/wp-draftsforfriends.
This plugin will generate a unique link that you can send to your friends to allow them to preview your draft before they are published. You are able to set the expiry for the link as well. It is based off Drafts for Friends originally written by Neville Longbottom.