WordPress 4.2 has been released!
- New and improved Press This
- New characters out-of-the-box, including emoji, native Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters, musical and mathematical symbols, and hieroglyphs.
- Switch themes in the Customizer
- More embeds (Tumblr.com and Kickstarter)
- Streamlined plugin updates
- utf8mb4 support
- Shared term splitting
- Complex query ordering for WP_Query, WP_Comment_Query, and WP_User_Query
Download: WordPress 4.2
WordPress 4.1 has been released.
- New default theme: Twenty Fifteen
- Distraction-free writing mode
- Choose a language – Right now, WordPress 4.1 is already translated into over forty languages, with more always in progress. You can switch to any translation on the General Settings screen
- Log out everywhere – If you’ve ever worried you forgot to sign out from a shared computer, you can now go to your profile and log out everywhere
- Vine embeds – Embedding videos from Vine is as simple as pasting a URL onto its own line in a post. See the full list of supported embeds
- Plugin recommendations – The plugin installer suggests plugins for you to try. Recommendations are based on the plugins you and other users have installed
- Complex Queries – Metadata, date, and term queries now support advanced conditional logic, like nested clauses and multiple operators — A AND ( B OR C )
- Customizer API – The customizer now supports conditionally showing panels and sections based on the page being previewed
- <title> tags in themes –
add_theme_support( 'title-tag' ) tells WordPress to handle the complexities of document titles
For more detailed information, checkout the changelog!
Download: WordPress 4.1
WordPress 4.0.1 has been released today and it is a important security release. So please update your WordPress site as soon as possible.
WordPress 4.0.1 is now available. This is a critical security release for all previous versions and we strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately.
Sites that support automatic background updates will be updated to WordPress 4.0.1 within the next few hours. If you are still on WordPress 3.9.2, 3.8.4, or 3.7.4, you will be updated to 3.9.3, 3.8.5, or 3.7.5 to keep everything secure. (We don’t support older versions, so please update to 4.0.1 for the latest and greatest.)
WordPress versions 3.9.2 and earlier are affected by a critical cross-site scripting vulnerability, which could enable anonymous users to compromise a site. This was reported by Jouko Pynnonen. This issue does not affect version 4.0, but version 4.0.1 does address these eight security issues:
- Three cross-site scripting issues that a contributor or author could use to compromise a site. Discovered by Jon Cave, Robert Chapin, and John Blackbourn of the WordPress security team.
- A cross-site request forgery that could be used to trick a user into changing their password.
- An issue that could lead to a denial of service when passwords are checked. Reported by Javier Nieto Arevalo and Andres Rojas Guerrero.
- Additional protections for server-side request forgery attacks when WordPress makes HTTP requests. Reported by Ben Bidner (vortfu).
- An extremely unlikely hash collision could allow a user’s account to be compromised, that also required that they haven’t logged in since 2008 (I wish I were kidding). Reported by David Anderson.
- WordPress now invalidates the links in a password reset email if the user remembers their password, logs in, and changes their email address. Reported separately by Momen Bassel, Tanoy Bose, and Bojan Slavkovi? of ManageWP.
Version 4.0.1 also fixes 23 bugs with 4.0, and we’ve made two hardening changes, including better validation of EXIF data we are extracting from uploaded photos. Reported by Chris Andrè Dale.
Download: WordPress 4.0.1
WordPress 4.0 has been released and it is named “Benny” in honor of jazz clarinetist and bandleader Benny Goodman.
This release was led by Helen Hou-Sandí, with the help of many other fine individuals. There are 275 contributors with props in this release which is a new high.
- Manage your media with style
Explore your uploads in a beautiful, endless grid. A new details preview makes viewing and editing any amount of media in sequence a snap.
- Working with embeds has never been easier
Paste in a YouTube URL on a new line, and watch it magically become an embedded video. Now try it with a tweet. Oh yeah – embedding has become a visual experience. The editor shows a true preview of your embedded content, saving you time and giving you confidence. You can now embed videos from CollegeHumor, playlists from YouTube, and talks from TED.
- Focus on your content
Writing and editing is smoother and more immersive with an editor that expands to fit your content as you write, and keeps the formatting tools available at all times.
- Finding the right plugin
There are more than 30,000 free and open source plugins in the WordPress plugin directory. WordPress 4.0 makes it easier to find the right one for your needs, with new metrics, improved search, and a more visual browsing experience.
WordPress 4.0 RC1 has been released and the final version is targeted to be shipped next week.
Developers, please test your plugins and themes against WordPress 4.0 and update your plugin’s Tested up to version in the readme to 4.0 before next week. If you find compatibility problems, please be sure to post any issues to the support forums so we can figure those out before the final release. You also may want to give your plugin an icon, which we launched last week and will appear in the dashboard along with banners.
Download: WordPress 4.0 RC 1