WordPress 3.5 is out after 6 RCs!
If you’ve been around WordPress a while, the most dramatic new change you’ll notice is a completely re-imagined flow for uploading photos and creating galleries. Media has long been a friction point and we’ve listened hard and given a lot of thought into crafting this new system. 3.5 includes a new default theme, Twenty Twelve, which has a very clean mobile-first responsive design and works fantastic as a base for a CMS site. Finally we’ve spent a lot of time refreshing the styles of the dashboard, updating everything to be Retina-ready with beautiful high resolution graphics, a new color picker, and streamlining a couple of fewer-used sections of the admin.
Codex: WordPress 3.5
Download: WordPress 3.5
WordPress 3.0 RC3 has been released. This should be the final RC if there are no major bugs left.
In case you are wondering, there is WordPress 3.0 RC2 but it is only for internal use.
Download: WordPress 3.0 RC3
WordPress 2.6 has been released.
Here are some new features of WordPress 2.6:
- Post Revisions: Wiki-like tracking of edits
- Press This!: Post from wherever you are on the web
- Shift Gears: Turbo-speed your blogging
- Theme Previews: See it before your audience does
- Word count
- Image captions under your image
- Bulk management of plugins
- A completely revamped image control to allow for easier inserting, floating, and resizing. It’s now fully integrated with the WYSIWYG
- Drag-and-drop reordering of Galleries
- Plugin update notification bubble
- Customizable default avatars
- You can now upload media when in full-screen mode
- Remote publishing via XML-RPC and APP is now secure (off) by default
- Full SSL support in the core, and the ability to force SSL for security
- You can now have many thousands of pages or categories with no interface issues
- Ability to move your wp-config file and wp-content directories to a custom location, for “clean” SVN checkouts
- Select a range of checkboxes with “shift-click.”
- You can toggle between the Flash uploader and the classic one
- A number of proactive security enhancements, including cookies and database interactions
- Stronger better faster versions of TinyMCE, jQuery, and jQuery UI
2.6 is pretty much identical to 2.5 from a plugin and theme compatibility point of view, so upgrades from 2.5 should be pretty painless. The 2.5 branch will no longer be maintain so everyone is encouraged to upgrade.
» Download WordPress 2.6
PS: The current version of my plugins should work well with WordPress 2.6 except WP-DownloadManager. Nevertheless, I will release updates to all of them tomorrow.