I bought the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones (with Coiled Cable) from one of Amazon‘s Black Friday’s lightning deals as well. Got it for USD$99.99 (SGD$126) including shipping because it also qualifies for AmazonGlobal Saver.
In Singapore, the ATH-M50 is retailing for SGD$238, so you just saved SGD$112!
- Type: Closed-back dynamic
- Driver Diameter: 45mm
- Magnet: Neodymium
- Voice Coil: CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire)
- Frequency Response:15 – 28,000 Hz
- Maximum Input Power: 1,600 mW at 1 kHz
- Sensitivity: 99dB
- Impedance: 38ohms
- Weight: 284g without cable and connector
- Cable: 1.2 – 3.0 m Coiled, OFC litz wire
- Connector: Gold-plated stereo 1/8″ (3.5 mm) connector with strain relief and professional screw-on 1/4″ (6.3 mm) adapter
- Accessories: Protective pouch
From a non-audiophile point of view, the ATH-M50 sounds much better with a stronger bass, but it is a little bulky to be brought around when compared to the Bose AE2i.
In terms of comfort, the Bose AE2i wins hands down. After wearing the ATH-M50 for a few hours, your ears will start to get warm, you will start to feel the weight of the ATH-M50 and you can feel the pressure of the ATH-M50’s clamp around your ears.
Despite both the AE2i and ATH-M50 are not noise cancelling headphones, both of them managed to block out most of the noises.
I am currently using the Bose AE2i Audio Headphones in the office, I think I will be swapping it with the ATH-M50 thought it is not as comfortable but I like the sound quality!
I wonder is it me or the included carrying pouch seems to be a little small and does not fit the ATH-M50 well. Maybe it is really not meant to be carried around!