Last week Norton refreshes it’s product line-up to be compatible with Windows 8. Another major difference (something that I like) is they completely dropped the version number/year at the end of the product name.
Norton Delivers Protection for Windows 8, Social Networking and Scams
New Releases Make Windows 8 Safer and Faster While Setting New Benchmarks for Protection and Performance
Singapore – Sept. 6, 2012 – Norton by Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) today released the latest versions of its award-winning core security products, Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus, which are compatible with Windows 8 and engineered to be safer, optimized for speed and performance, and simpler to use.
Enhancing the product line-up further, Norton 360 Multi-Device, a comprehensive security solution that provides security across platforms and devices, will also be available to consumers in Singapore. Ideal for consumers who have multiple devices and want a simple, easy-to-use security solution, Norton 360 Multi-Device provides protection for Windows based PCs, Macs, Android-based phones and tablets, right out of the box along with 25 gig of online backup. It offers a single key to activate protection on all devices. It uses a cloud-based Norton management console that lets users take charge of their devices’ security from anywhere, at any time, right over the Internet. In addition, Norton 360 Multi-Device is a flexible solution that allows customers to move protection from one device to another to meet their changing needs as they add or change the number and type of devices they own.
With five patented layers of protection, stronger social networking defenses, anti-scam capabilities, and improved cloud-enabled features, the latest Norton products set new benchmarks for protection and performance. In addition, the latest releases are Windows 8 compatible and engineered to make Windows 8 safer and faster compared with running Windows Defender on Windows 8.
According to third-party testing, when paired with Norton, Windows 8 is 50 percent faster and 20 percent safer than with Windows Defender. In addition, testing showed that Norton was able to correctly detect and block all the threats that Windows Defender failed to recognize.
“According to this year’s Norton Cybercrime Report, one in 10 social network users said they’d fallen victim to a scam or fake link on social network platforms. Today, consumers are living nearly every aspect of their lives online and often putting personal information at risk,” said Janice Chaffin, Group President, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec. “With our latest releases, Norton responds to this and other consumer vulnerabilities with stronger social media and scam protection to ensure consumers are safe in the multi-device, Wi-Fi-enabled world.”
The latest Norton products are engineered to be safer, optimized for speed and performance, and simpler to use. In third-party testing, the new products ranked first in both protection and performance among a field of competitors. New features and improvements include:
In addition to industry-leading core security technologies, the new Norton releases feature protection enhancements including:
- Social Networking Protection – New defenses protect consumers from attacks and scams on social networks, such as likejacking, malicious messages, posts and notices on social networks
- Scam Insight – Anti-scam capabilities warn users of potentially risky sites that are new or do not have an established reputation within the Norton user community, enabling users to keep personal information such as bank account or login data secure
- Enhanced Network Defenses – To keep consumers safe from constantly evolving web-based attacks, the latest releases feature stronger networking defenses including a new Intelligent Firewall and broader uses of Insight information, which now tracks IP address reputation in addition to file, URL and domain reputation
With consumers becoming more on-the-go with devices such as tablets and ultrabooks, faster startup, shutdown and improved battery power are increasingly important. The latest Norton products feature:
- Faster Startup & Shutdown – Completely re-engineered to minimize startup and shutdown time
- Maximized Battery Power – Reduced power consumption, resulting in extended battery life and faster response from system sleep and hibernate states
- More Efficient Support for Digital Media Files – Designed to ensure digital media files – such as photos, music and videos – are safe from attack, without impacting performance
In addition to being safer and faster, Norton products are also simpler to use, offering enhancements including:
- Touch Screen-Friendly – User interface is engineered for faster performance and optimized for touch screens
- Version-Less – With all product updates now downloaded in the background and installed automatically, consumers can rest assured they are safe from the latest threats without manually checking for updates
- Reboot-Less – Product updates no longer require reboot, so consumers can receive the most up-to-date protection without being interrupted
Pricing & Availability
The latest versions of Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus are now available for purchase in Singapore through various retailers and the Norton online store at http://sg.norton.com/. Norton 360 Multi-Device will be available for purchase from Oct 2012.
The MSRP for one year of protection of:
- Norton 360 Multi-Device: SGD 99.00 for 3 devices; SGD 119.00 for 5 devices.
- Norton Internet Security: SGD 49.00 for single PC; SGD 79.00 for up to three PCs.
- Norton AntiVirus: SGD 39.00 for single PC; SGD 59.00 for up to three PCs.
Norton customers with a valid product subscription are eligible to receive the latest product updates via the subscription service model. For more information, visit the Norton Update center at